SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Welcome & Ask Me Anything

A topic by EX FIRST GAMES created Jun 11, 2023 Views: 140 Replies: 9
Viewing posts 1 to 3
Host (2 edits) (+1)

Hi folks

Thank you for checking out the jam. I'm Charlie. It's great to have you with us. Feel free to introduce yourself and welcome others.

If you have any questions that others might benefit from, please ask them here.

By the way, the sooner you enter the quicker I can give you feedback. I want to give you feedback before the submission period ends so that you can improve your Spark. Have you ever heard of a contest in which the judge gives feedback before rating the entries? Well, you have now. Let's help each other and be open to feedback. Feedback is golden, sometimes hard to take, but it's always hard to come by.

Best of luck. I'm looking forward to seeing your entries.

Charlie
EX FIRST GAMES

Submitted

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for putting this together! I had a couple of questions that I wanted to ask.

First, do submissions need to include polished layouts or artwork? Can they be just the text?

Second, do the submissions need to be fantasy-themed? Are other genres ok, so long as they are system-agnostic?

Thanks!

Also, to the community, what games or systems do people have in the back of their mind as they are creating? What systems do people like or run in their home games?

Host

Hi, and thanks for asking.

Don't worry about layout, it is not part of the judging process. The ideal format for me is a plain text document. That said, you might want to design your Spark the way you want to, to give it impact and appeal, if you want potential players to download it.

The previous Sparks were fantasy but I encourage and welcome more settings. I'm not sure if you know this but the next CoinSides will be CyberPunk themed: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ex1stgames/cyber-coinsides-10-dice-and-more-on-one-spinning-coin

Linking Sparks is a great idea, proving they are optional and work well as stand-alone Sparks.

I hope this answers your questions.

Submitted

Well, submitted my entry for the Jam. Trying to remember where you contacted me originally about this - think it was on Twitter.

Host

Hi, and thanks for your submission. Yes, it was probably Twitter.

Submitted

Hi all! Apologies for being so slow in judging and not really active community-wise. During the submission process and even up to now I've been going through a rather sudden change in living circumstances and all the stress and bother that goes with that, so I wasn't even sure I'd get to participate in this Jam!

Having now read and worked through everyone's entry, I can safely say you all are a huge inspiration to me and I feel really great about this Jam! So many great and diverse Sparks, you all did amazingly!

Host

Thank you for commenting on every entry. Would you be interested in being the judge for next year's CoinSides Jam?

Submitted

I certainly wouldn’t mind, though I would also still like to make entries too and I don’t know if being a judge disqualifies me from that!

Host

It would, probably. I can't see an easy way around it.

Submitted

Well, it is a year from now, who knows how I’ll feel about it by then! Happy to do either, really.