SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

What's Your Jam?

A topic by emgiosia created Aug 23, 2023 Views: 292 Replies: 24
Viewing posts 1 to 10
HostSubmitted

(ha ha - See what I did there?)

So, what sort of goodies are y'all working on for the jam? 

I'll go first: I'm working on finalizing a game that I've had waiting in the wings for probably about six months now, called The Hedge Witch. It's not spooky, but it is a game where the player is a witch, and they use tarot cards to divine the future of the villagers and tourists of their small, coastal town. So many of my games use cards as a main mechanic, but this is the first one where I created everything from the ground up on my own, so I'm really proud of how this one is coming along. I definitely a bit of a kick in the rear, though, to get moving and really finish it for publication. 

So I have this idea, and I don't even know if it will work, and I have no clue where to start, but like...

Do you know Geodesaurus on TikTok? She does Spooky Lake month. And those are just some of the coolest videos, so my idea is to have the players be people who are exploring a lake that may or may not be spooky (it is). The players will use dice(?) to try and study and discover as much about the lake as they can.

The lake will be determined by a deck of cards (I'm currently debating between tarot or 52 player cards or what). Which is part of what I'm figuring out: how to instigate things... I think it'll be similar to journaling? Related to nights? I don't know... we'll see!

So yeah, will the scientists discover what's spooky about the lake? Will they survive? Or will they simply be another thing that makes the lake spoooooky?

HostSubmitted(+1)

Ooooh, okay, I love this! I feel like you could do something similar to Wretched & Alone (perhaps leave out the tumbling tower), and a deck of cards to provide different prompts about the lake. They have to collect specific things, perhaps, to allow them to leave?

What a great suggestion!

So, between W&A and I've had Ten Candles on the mind lately, I was thinking, like, I do love that 'timing' or 'you only have so many moves' element. The candles I didn't feel really worked for this game, and same with the block tower (though the block tower could have worked...) What if... ok, so there was this drinking game I remember my cousins playing called ring of fire. I don't remember all the rules, something about the cards being around a beverage, and you didn't want to make a gap in the cards, but also if you discarded (or maybe it was if you completed the task of the card) you put the card under the pop-up tab.

What if something like that was the 'timer'? Like, the team is trying to work together to figure out this lake stuff, with things possibly killing them (or just making it frustrating) and if that pop-up tab pops, the lake over takes them....?

Does that sound silly? I feel like it'd be fun... but also I think I have to test it out with like, what is the average number of cards? Ooooh, or depending on exactly how I use the cards, it's like... if you open the beverage, your character is taken by the lake? Ahhhh this is so fun! Thank you.

HostSubmitted(+1)

Okay, I LOVE the idea of timers on a game like this. It really creates the sense of urgency and frantic energy that I think someone would have in a "final girl" sort of scenario! 

I think the idea of using something a can of sparkly water (or beverage of choice, maybe you want something stronger after finishing a harrowing game!) would be a really interesting mechanic for a timer. lol Could even go so far as to specify the Liquid Death canned water brand, just to be real on the nose. 

Submitted(+1)

That sounds really cool! I would love to play a game like that.

(+1)

This sounds so fun, can't wait to see how it turns out!

@emgiosia, what a fun premise! So glad you're feeling proud of it so far. Excited to see the finished game!

(+1)

I have just sat down to properly start work on my game so thought it'd be a good time to jump in. I'm starting a new project from scratch for the jam. I needed a push to finally start, finish and publish something so I'm hoping this is it! My game isn't going to be particularly spooky (but who know where it'll go). The current plan is for it be a solo journaling RPG where the player completes a variety of task to be initiated into and progress within a cult. I think the main mechanic will be card based but I'm open to just seeing where it goes... Don't have masses planned out beyond that, just kind of jumping in and seeing what happens!

HostSubmitted

OOH, a cult!! Definitely fits the Code Orange theme, and I'm VERY interested to hear more about it as you work on it!

Submitted

I'm working on a MotW mystery set in a village that has a contract with a forest spirit they worship as their god. In exchange for either 5% of the town's harvest or a human sacrifice (the villagers choose each year), the spirit keeps the village safe from dangerous monsters that roam the woods and ensures the success of the village's crops and livestock. Most of the village is happy with the arrangement. There are a few who are against it as they've seen no evidence of dangerous monsters in the woods in their lifetimes and caring for the soil keeps crops and livestock healthy.

When a late season blight begins spreading through the fields, livestock is brutally slaughtered by unnatural beasts, and villagers begin disappearing from nighttime walks, the voices of those opposed to the arrangement get louder and it's up to the hunters to figure out what exactly is going on and put a stop to it before the village has no food to survive the winter.

HostSubmitted

Ohhhh, HECK! This sounds so spooky and good! I can't wait to pick this up when you release. 馃グ

Submitted

This sounds so good!

Submitted

Hi everyone. I'm finishing up another jam and just saw this on. I was thinking a game about trick or treating at first, but I'm wondering if I should try and make a Halloween supplement for my game nowpunk (a game about playing through more mundane stories).

What do people think? What would be more interesting?

Submitted

I like the idea of an expansion on nowpunk

HostSubmitted

So, I love the idea of mundane stories: I always wonder about what the heroes are doing when they're not out saving the world! But it could be something you combine - A trick-or-treating mini game or supplement to go along with Nowpunk?

Submitted

So many cool ideas here! I can't wait to see what all comes of it!

I'm theoretically working on a sort of sequel to my solo game Village Witch, but I haven't done anything on it this month and only have some plans and ideas written out. I'm hoping to start on it tonight, so hopefully I can get it together in time!

HostSubmitted

Would love to see a sequel to Village Witch - It's one of my favorite games! <3 

Submitted

Hi there ! Such a cool jam idea ! I can't wait to see all your spooky submissions.

My partner and I are entering the jam with a solo "Descended from the Queen" card game about talking to your reflection in a mirror.

The game is inspired by creepy rituals like Bloody Mary or the Three Kings game.  The player stands in front of a mirror ( in a dimly lit room for more thrills ! ) and asks questions to their reflection. They then answer the questions aloud, embodying the voice of the person in the mirror.

We're very excited to work on this project, even though we are too afraid to playtest it ourselves... 馃槄

HostSubmitted

Oh my GOSH, what a cool concept! I can't wait to see what you put together - This sound spooky as heck! 

Submitted

That sounds both super cool and terrifying! I love it!

Submitted

Thank you so much for your kind words, it's means a lot to us ! We're doing our best to make it as spooky and memorable as possible !

I think I'm going to submit a game I've been planning called "Kids With Candy." It's a collaborative game where players complete quests to earn candy before halloween is over. I'm still working out the kinks, but I'm hoping to have at least a sample of the game finished for this jam.

HostSubmitted

Oh, I love this! Wholesome spooky games are just so good! 

Submitted

I'm working on an expansion for my game nowpunk, called Cul de Sacs and Candy Corn. It's Halloween themed (shock) for both kid and adult characters, and introduces stats for costumes, the use of a tarot decks major arcana (the original game only used the numbered minor arcana), and maybe some more idea generators. Having trouble finding art though, including a cover image.