Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Theme Interpretation/Critique and hindsight

A topic by ThinkSleepPlayGames created Aug 31, 2019 Views: 200 Replies: 6
Viewing posts 1 to 5
Submitted

I figured we could share some thoughts regarding the theme. What you liked or disliked about it. Where it may have made you stumble, or anything cool you thought of.

I felt it was weird that "The game is a" was part of it. Maybe it was just to make it more interesting. Maybe it was just odd (imo) wording. I thought perhaps just "Liar" would have been a better theme. But maybe thats what they were going for.

The theme partially reminded me of a game i saw on youtube called The Stanley Parable....or at least, that's a slight approximation for how i interpreted it. 

What about you?

Submitted (1 edit)

I agree with what you're saying with the the "the game is a" part. I felt it was really restricting, especially for if you follow the theme as best you can. It would be really sad if it was just the strange wording that was thrown together for no good reason, because something like this is quite impactful. Although, overall I felt that this specific theme will really bring out the top games that fit it the theme well, compared to the ones that fit just mildly. It was a good challenge :)

https://anthonymitchell.itch.io/he-lies p.s. (My game if you wanted to check it out, no download required)

Submitted

I tried your game. I like it. It's got a good quick feedback loop. Would make a great mobile game also. (Replied to your post as well.)

Submitted

I interpreted it as the game needed deceit in it, and since "The game is a" is a part of it, I took that to mean it should be the game and not the player doing the deceiving. But agreed that it felt like a bit of an odd theme wording.

Submitted

My team definitely struggles at first coming up with decent ideas. It felt like a lot of the potential ideas were going to be gimmicky and have no replay-ability. It definitely could have benefited from just being "liar", but I think it was fine. It just took a lot of potential ideas out of the running. My team ended up making Mirror Mirror, where the game doesn't show you the entire room but mirrors do, check it out if you have the time: https://itch.io/jam/cgj/rate/476303

Submitted

Played & Reviewed Mirror Mirror. Was like "I don't get how this follow's the theme, i can just turn around and move around (i don't have to use the mirror)" then i started  getting to some levels that required using the mirror and i was like "OHHHHHH...Cool!"

Submitted

for me it was quite a hard theme to use because instead of "liar" being implemented, the core mechanics and nature of the game is pushed towards lying. I thought it was an interesting theme though.