Welcome to the Bullet Hell Jam!
The Bullet Hell Game Jam is a game jam to create a bullet hell game or to explore some mechanic found in bullet hell games.
The theme is 10 SECONDS
- You must (loosely) incorporate bullets or projectiles into your game or some aspect of bullet hell games.
- The theme is optional, if you choose not to follow the theme please mention it on your game submission page.
- You’re allowed to work alone or in teams.
- Preferrably a playable Windows or WebGL build, however supporting other platforms is encouraged.
- English is required for major text in your game, however supporting other languages is encouraged as well.
- If your game contains disturbing or otherwise NSFW content you must add appropriate warnings.
Ratings will be based on
- THEME - How well does the game fit the theme? (optional)
- VISUALS - Graphics, atmosphere, and overall look and aesthetic of the game.
- AUDIO - How well the audio and music sounds and how well it fits in with the overall environment of the game.
- EASY TO GET IN TO - How easy were you able to get into the game? Did the game include a well thought out tutorial?
- CREATIVE - How creative was the idea that the game took on? Was it ordinary or extra-ordinary? Did the game developers try something new or take on a different approach to a bullet hell game?
- FUN - How fun was it to play? Did the game have the right amount of challenge? How high was the difficulty curve?
- OVERALL - The overall score of the game.
- You most likely have the right difficulty, if you, as the developer, can casually beat it without getting damaged
- Make your game easy to understand for new players. This is a super common trap a lot of game jam games fall into. Start thinking about your tutorial or how you want to teach your mechanics right from the beginning! Its even more important in this jam since its one of the ranking factors.
- Quality over quantity. Keep your game super simple! Every bit of extra polish can really make your game stand out. Make sure your game is simple but also polished.
- Take risk. Try something completely new and crazy with the theme that will be announced at the start of the jam!
The Winner of the Jam will get a SPECIAL ROLE on our Discord Server (check below for invite link). They will also get a Unity Pack by ArcAidStudios which is normally worth $10.00!!
How "bullet hell" does my game have to be?
You will be fine as long as you loosely incorporate bullets into your game or some aspect of bullet hell games.
Can I use premade assets, scripts, or ideas?
Yes! When it comes to assets you can use them as long as they follow these guidelines.
- The asset is general purpose. (Things like character controllers )
- You have the rights to use them.
Write which assets were made before the jam in your description.
- Credit any assets you don't own in the description.
As for ideas, you are free to plan out your game before the jam starts.
Can I submit my old game or start working on my game before the jam starts?
The majority of your game should be made during the jam, premade assets are an exception to this and can be made before the jam starts.
This is my first time making a bullet hell, where do I start?
You can start with the resources and tutorials listed here.
How much time do we have?
You have a week to create your game and submit it to the jam. After that there will be a rating period that will last another week.
Where can I ask more questions about the jam?
There are 2 main places. You can ask on this server, on #🍯current-jam, or you can go to the community tab on itch and ask there! There will be plenty of people willing to help! Lots of people are new to game jams here, and if you are one of them, there are lots of experiences jammers who can answer any doubts or questions related to participating in game jams in general!
🎆 Join Our Discord 🎆
Want to stream the jam games?
If you would like to stream during the jam please fill out this form so that you can be listed
List of streamers:
Zebddy - Game Development During the Jam (10pm Paris time)
LittleAndBigStudios - Game Development During the Jam
Funbil - Game Development During The Jam, Playing and Rating Game Entries After the Jam
Treasure JACKSON - Game Development During the Jam
IrishWilly - Game Development During the Jam, Playing and Rating Game Entries After the Jam (likely night EDT)
KroissantV - Playing and Rating Game Entries After the Jam (Friday April 16th around 5pm ET)
NeonLure - Game Development During the Jam (10pm+ EST)
MinKaizen - Game Development During the Jam (every day around 5am-7am AEST)
Gumbata - Playing and Rating Game Entries After the Jam (afternoon CET)
Someidiot321 - Game Development During The Jam, Playing and Rating Game Entries After the Jam
ThonkGamer - Game Development During The Jam, Playing and Rating Game Entries After the Jam
samkab04 - Game Development During The Jam, Playing and Rating Game Entries After the Jam
Tiger_J - Playing and Rating Game Entries After the Jam