itch.io Spring Selects Series A
On Sale: GamesAssetsToolsTabletopComics
Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

How is the jam going for everyone so far?

A topic by Kricket created Aug 24, 2022 Views: 865 Replies: 63
Viewing posts 1 to 20 of 28 · Next page · Last page
Submitted(+2)

For me its been pretty stressful but really rewarding. I have experimented with countless new things and already learned a ton. My main goal for this jam was to create a game that was actually fun and I think I succeeded so far. Plus I got to team up this jam which made things a lot easier and I could focus more on gameplay.

Submitted(+1)

pretty medium cux idk how to draw music and its my second jam ever and iam making solo

Submitted

Yeah, don't worry too much about the placement of your game but rather what you have learned along the way. Even if you don't notice it you have probably learned a TON.

Submitted

right

i havent even started i have NO IDEAAAAAAAASSSSSS

Submitted

Don't worry you still have time. How about a game where the screen is all dark, and you move around by having a light flash on and off so you can temporarily see where to go, but there are also enemies lurking that you cant see until the light is on, so its like a puzzle platformer. Or if you want to make something quickly just make a local multiplayer game, it will fit the theme no matter what because you are never playing the game alone but rather with somebody else.

yea, I’ve thought about that, but idk.

Submitted

Thats kind of my game already, except its not a platformer, and there is only one enemy.

(1 edit)

There are some people putting ideas in this thread (including me): https://itch.io/jam/brackeys-8/topic/2320121/dump-you-unused-ideas-for-others

I had to quit the jam because I dont know how to make maps and the only person on my team who does is out of town. :(

Submitted

oh that's too bad, but if you want to take on the challenge you can always create a new game, it doesnt have to be much maybey a  short platformer where you think that you are by yourself throughout the game in an abandoned city but once you beat the game you find other people and realize you aren't alone.

Submitted(+2)

Well I have only had about 6 hours to make my game, I had only used Unity for about a week before the jam, so my game is pretty bad :) I also only have until friday because we are going on holiday on saturday. I really wanted to enjoy my first jam more than this, but i've had some pretty bad luck this week with my bike breaking down, then my cat of 14 years passing away. So it seems a higher power really doesn't want me to work on my game!

Submitted(+1)

oh sorry for your loss, yeah sometimes things like this happen but don't give up! Also don't worry about how good your game is to you, for only using unity for 1 week its incredible that you managed to finish it! Plus others may enjoy it a lot more than you think.

Submitted(+1)

Thanks, I haven't finished yet but I am getting there, I have tomorrow evening left to try and finish it. I just wont have time to polish or work out sound most likely. I appreciate the response x

Submitted(+3)

I am currently making a horror game. I got like 3 or 5 heart attacks along the way. I love game jams :)

Submitted

Yeah jams are always exciting and let you experiment with more things.

Submitted(+1)

too well. emphasis on the too btw because it has been way to cruisy for a game jam. 

something is off...

Submitted

Yeah something doesnt seem right... XD Anyways congratulations, I don't think many people have been able to experience smooth sailing in a game jam.

Submitted(+2)

This is the 5th time Unity crashed!

Submitted(+1)

Oh that's the worst, my game crashed a couple time in the making but finish strong, you have got this!

(+3)

i dont think im going to make it. school and work are getting in my way

Submitted

That's alright there's always next time!

Submitted

ok

Submitted(+1)

It's helluva stressful, but I still believe I can make it till sunday

Submitted

Don't give up!

Submitted

Submitted

you can check my experience at the top

Submitted(+1)

I am done. Not super happy with what I made, but it okay.

Submitted(+1)

You should be proud, only a small portion of the poeple who enter even manage to finish.

(+1)

Im not even close to finishing haha. I wasted about 3 days trying to come up with an idea and designing the game. So far I only have the basic movement and collision. Its unlikely that it will be finished at all but I'll keep going anyway and see what happens.

Submitted(+1)

Don't give up! You still have half the jam left to make something! Even if you don't finish during the jam you can always work on it later.

Submitted(+2)

Its Ok. Its my first jam. I havent released any game yet. My Game is clunky and not balanced. I made a space invader clone with a little spin on it because I wanted to do sth I have done before

Submitted

Yeah same with mine, jam games are hard to make perfect but over time we will both learn enough. Plus I have improved so much each jam , and trust me, you will too! You should be proud of your work because you just made a VIDEO GAME in 1 WEEK. Anyways best of luck on the jam :D

Submitted

and i have no more time because i go on holiday with my family 

so it wont get better

Submitted

And it has no sound fx. Im currently working on explaining the game to the player without making a tutorial because i dont have time left

(+1)

Learned a lot about pathfinding and world generation in the last days. Normally I do 48hour jams so I propably just wait until friday night and then start with a pretty well 5 day prepared setup.

Don't stress so much. Write clean code with a lot of comments so it can be debugged in the last 5 minutes (when you try to build and upload it).
AND BUILD IT NOW so you can big build problems you face right now.

Submitted

Yeah I definetly need to work on the clean code part. In game jams I tend to stress a lot and my code becomes a mess, but luckily its in a short enough time frame that I can just about understand it.

Submitted(+2)

Pretty good just adding some Scenery for the levels 

Submitted

Sounds good!

(+1)

Good, just still in the early phase because of school, yup 6 hours of school time at most. At this point, it's not 1 week anymore

Submitted

Yeah sometimes things can get in the way, but sometimes just making something simple allows you to have a lot more time for polish and stuff and can turn out to be a great game.

(+2)

I forgot I had to make this game, because of exams week, but i'm back on track, at least I'm learning programming

Submitted(+1)

Yeah keep going! I never worry about how good I do learning is what's most important.

Viewing posts 1 to 20 of 28 · Next page · Last page