SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Just finished my game, any thoughts?

A topic by JacobDWoodman created Aug 07, 2020 Views: 242 Replies: 15
Viewing posts 1 to 6
Submitted (1 edit)

https://jacobdwoodman.itch.io/memory-of-an-adversary

I didn't have any playtesters, and some sections of the game even got a little frustrating for myself, but I didn't feel like changing them(RIP :p). Originally was going to work with 2 others, but they lost interest and didn't take part with me, so I had about a day delayed start, hope it isn't too noticeable!

Submitted (2 edits) (+1)

I finished the first 4 levels.

I like the art and the concept. I do have a few spots where I think some things could be polished.

1. When they are far away, I cannot always tell if I have memories active.

2. Some ways of getting memories seems a bit arbitrary. And is it me or do they also expire with time? That was not very clear.

3. It feels strange to lose all memories on death, and not just one. What's the point of having more than one?

4. It'd be nice to have a sound when you grab a coin.

5. This game could really benefit from some slight coyote time.

https://weckar.itch.io/ariadne

Submitted(+1)

Thanks for your feedback! I think you are right about the memories part, maybe there should have been a HUD indicator for how many memories there are left.

Memories do not expire with time, but if you collide with them they disappear. I did not explain that well, oops!

When hit, you teleport to one memory, which destroys it, I'm not sure why all the memories disappear for you. It didn't happen with me when I just played it to check.

It would benefit to have a sound for coins, and coyote time, those should be easy for me to update the game with, thanks!

Submitted (1 edit)

I think what happened is that the memories were overlapping each other, so that when I warped to one I instantly destroyed the others. A  logical result of not knowing the touch = bad mechanic.

Submitted

in level 3 I jumped over the edge and had no way that I saw to reset myself or the level.  Other than that, I liked the intro music and the way you did the memory with the tombstones!  feel free to check mine out as well if you like! https://shakirus.itch.io/be-kind

Submitted

thought I blocked off all the pitfalls, thanks for letting me know about that one! I like your game as well,  love the take on rewind with the BB catchphrase! got stuck on level 8 however, wasn't sure how to time the platforms properly

Submitted(+1)

Awesome! thanks for taking a look!  

Submitted (3 edits) (+1)

I cannot tell if I have forgotten the rewind key or if its just not working for me, I stopped having memories created with no idea how to create more and reloading didn't give me the controls screen again.  

I have no idea how to get past level 3 with the boxes on the left as you cant attack while in the air, if it uses the rewind mechanic then this is as far as I can go. I tried going back to see the controls but I'm guessing they only show once..

I also ran off the ledge at that same area and I'm stuck in an endless freefall so if the solution to level 3 was to go right instead then I didn't discover it. Which brings me to my biggest feedback in this jam so far, please add an esc menu for situations like this as you pretty much lose the player the moment they have to keep reloading just to play the game.

Music and assets fit together nicely, maybe add a sound effect to the coin collections though as its not very satisfying at the moment.

Heres mine if you find the time to play:

https://strodogames.itch.io/lackluster

Submitted

A pause menu would have been a good idea, I'll have to work on that next time I do a jam, thanks!

There is no key for rewinding, it's a sort of replacement for your health-system. You can actually jump right onto the boxes in level 3, and the infinite pit is a mistake I will fix shortly... :p

Added a coin sound effect too, hope it's alright!

I liked your game as well, the sound effects made it quite satisfying to play, although it was hard to know that I had to deliver the tapes to shelves that were not on the screen.

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

Did you play without sound? it has directional beeping attached to the arrows. Maybe I should make a 'compass' style indicator instead.

Submitted

I do remember the audio, which is what made me head up the store in the first place, but regardless, it may be a good idea to implement multiple indicators as well!

Submitted(+1)

Sorry that was a stupid question when you said the sound effects were satisfying haha, thanks for giving it a play, ill look into a directional indicator

Submitted

Waiting for your reup to check your game, uploading mine soon!

Submitted

Back up, but will probably go down again soon  as I forgot to add an important wall!

Submitted

Waiting for the re upload then I'll give it a try!

Submitted

Back up, but will probably go down again soon  as I forgot to add an important wall!