Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

The theme isn't good

A topic by Holmgang created Aug 02, 2020 Views: 1,323 Replies: 50
Viewing posts 1 to 20
(+3)(-18)

It's way too restrictive. Your game must include rewinding time. That's the only definition which works. I've started working on a game and got a lot of stuff in, but I've only got rewind into the plot.

Submitted(+9)

Sometimes hard themes or restricions  can lead to inevation, Yes the theme isnt that open, and cant be interpreted in a lot of diffrent ways, but it can be made into some interesting stuff.

(+2)

yeah I agree.

(-11)

err... no. Restrictive themes restrict creativity. Maybe time rewinds in a cool way, but thats about as innovative as it gets

Submitted(+2)

Actually i got a different idea, you will see :D

(1 edit)

I think you just lack creativity. you don't have to look at it so literally.

i will spoil the plot for  my game as an example as i will likely not have enough time to finish it anyways (i joined in late).

My game is about a carpenter who goes out to find an old tree and make it into something new and young (this is also the main mechanic, take something old, make something new as a tool). In a way i guess you could think of it as rewinding time, but it is much more abstract then that.

the theme doesn't restrict creativity, it restricts us to an idea and helps our projects stay grounded and lowly scoped. But that idea can grow to anything with enough imagination. This is something we should strive for in all of our projects. all games need to restrict themselves to some extent, because as i said, it keeps them grounded and the scope to something manageable.

yeah ist hard but i watched a brackeys tutorial on rewind and i got a idea but some people on youtube live streamed and i got some ideas from that.

Submitted(+3)

Use your imagination. You can rewind more things than just time. For example and a starting point rewind single movements. Just try out which words you can combine with rewind.

Is there video on it. can you pls give link

Submitted(+1)

It’s Rewind Time

(+1)(-8)

rewinding single movements is still rewinding time. 

(+2)

wrong. Use your imagination.

Submitted(+1)

Not really. Just imagin rewinding the movement of a single enemy while the player and the environment is still normal. And like I said try to combine rewind with other words and you`ll get new meanings than time rewind.

Submitted(+1)

I agreed I used inspo and used a cassette where you can rewind the music like a casette does.

Submitted

pls don't copy

Submitted

no worries, I won't copy it. Im keen to play your game and see if you found a few additional elements to the casette idea.

(+6)

Although I do agree that the theme is very restricting, it is most likely intentional. Since a restrictive theme necessitates that you be more creative when interpreting the theme.

"Rewind" doesn't require you to interpret it as rewinding time, you have to be creative and find synonyms and other uses of the word rewind. Such as rewinding a VHS tape, or you could interpret it as something going backward; it doesn't have to be the time itself.

Submitted(+1)

SO MUCH AGREED

Deleted post
Submitted

YAAAYYYY

(-9)

This statement is false, the limitation exists in your knowledge.

It's what rewind means.

Deleted post
(+1)(-7)

true the theme limits creativity

Submitted

In some ways but that's the point it wants you to go further in your head and express creativity no matter how dumb it might seem.

Submitted(+1)

Try not just rewinding time, as others have said, a restrictive theme can bring out incredible creativity. Maybe try rewinding a rope/thread? Or re-winding up a toy or something

hmmm you right but its still really hard

Submitted

good luck :)

Submitted(+2)

There's definitely ideas other than rewinding time. I considered doing a detective game where you have to solve crimes by rewinding videos, or audio files (maybe even make it a bit creepy with reverse message clues). I've gone for running an old video rental shop, having to rewind videos while keeping customers happy

(+1)

O_O 

waaa wow thats a good idea

Submitted(+1)

WOWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE THAT"S LIKE THE BEST IDEA

Submitted

Mine is too simple ish

Submitted

Many thanks! Hopefully I can actually make it fun, I haven't made anything like this before

i haven't read all the comments, but.. you know REWIND is not necesary TIME SCALE... 

Some ideas: Rewind.. A story telling... Reviving WW2... Endless Runner on a Video TAPE that is Rewinding... ..

No time Scale needed in this.

Hope this can be useful for some.

Submitted(+1)

Yeah... the comments covered that lol

(+1)

While I'm also not a fan of this theme, there are multiple ways to use it:

Micro or localized rewind (think of Tracer's signature move from Overwatch)
Re-wind an unwound rope or grappling hook
Rewind/Unwind history
Rewind audio

Submitted

Lol tracer from overwatch I know that its kinda cool actually

Submitted

im literally making (NOT) a Braid clone lol. Not much else I can think of. Its different,...in a way lol

(+1)

If you take time to brainstorm, you will surely get an idea.

I also had the idea of "Rewind time" and it would have nicely gone with my idea of a Zombie Apocalypse. But after 15 hours sticking with my original idea, I got an epiphany at 3 am the next day and my idea of "rewind" changed drastically.

Take your time thinking about the theme, think in how many ways you can use "rewind", literally and figuratively.

You could rewind a lot of things, for example, I've had this idea for kind of a grappling hook mechanic on a ship on wheels in a desert. You'd shoot out the anchor, the *rewind* the rope to drag yourself.

Submitted

That's a good ship you got there

Submitted

I got a different idea, of a robot that is worried about earth, and wants to be a human again. He has to build a machine that can rewind time, and warn the humans tha they will destroy the earth

Submitted

Wow that robot is backstabbing the race of robots

Submitted

TREASON%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Submitted

he is actually the "world leader", and he is actually saving the planet, since the robots don't have a infinte lifetime

Submitted

HMMMMMMMM INTERSIFIES

Submitted

:))

This is the most ridiculous thing i have ever seen posted. Try to be a little more creative perhaps? It doesn't have to be about rewinding time.

You could think of it in more of an abstract way. Or try looking for synonyms for the word Rewind.

Maybe you arnt manipulating time, perhaps you are rewinding videos/movies, which reveal something sinister when played backwards. Or perhaps you have to go back through levels from a different angle.

It's not like your game will be disqualified from the jam if it doesn't fit the theme so obviously.

There are other ways to interpret the "Rewind" theme that don't involve rewinding time.

exactly! I had the idea for a platformer where your a guy on a casette tape thats always rewinding, so you have too keep moving, or it will push you off

Submitted

i think its a GREAT theme, rewinding time is an AWESOME IDEA!