Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

I was a winner of the last brackeys jam. AMA (Closed)

A topic by JUSTCAMH created Aug 01, 2020 Views: 978 Replies: 12
Viewing posts 1 to 6
Submitted (3 edits) (+2)

I made Hole Punch, it came 2nd overall.

Ask me anything!

EDIT:
AMA is now closed, it's time to start making a game. Good luck everyone!

First game jam of a legend *me*

Submitted(+11)

For some general jamming tips:

• Have everything updated and ready to go. Check that Unity (or your engine of choice) is up to date. I like to set up a 'blank' project with all of the packages installed and folders set up.
  • I personally don't like planning ideas before the jam for a few reasons. Firstly, the theme is an absolute wild card, and whatever idea you have likely won't work with the theme. Secondly, the theme is a useful limitation to coming up with ideas. It's really hard to pinpoint what your favourite food is, but it's easy to identify your favourite pizza. That's because limitations can focus your thinking, and it gives you a solid spot to start from.
  • Take time coming up with a game idea. A game lives and dies by its core ideas, so I typically spend multiple hours brainstorming. Even once you've got your winner idea, brainstorm some more, you might find something even better. Also brainstorm ways you can improve that idea even further.
  • Imagine yourself physically playing your game idea. What does it feel like to control the game? What do you do, and does it seem like fun, just by thinking about it? 
  • Then, cut your game idea down as far as possible. The ancient gamedev proverb states that you should 'Divide your game idea in half, then half again'. We all over estimate how much we can do, and this suggestion really is golden. It also helps to create a tight experience, focussed on a few strong ideas.
  • Get some sleep, especially early on in the jam. It's a week long jam, so it's more of a marathon than a sprint. If you knock yourself out on the first day, then you won't be able to perform on later days. 
  • The last day or so should be reserved for final touches. If you're still adding stuff on the last day, then it's probably time to start considering what to cut. Use the last day to polish your game to perfection, add more levels and PLAYTEST.
  • And finally, leave plenty of time for submission, particularly if this is your first jam. If you're super fast, it can take as little as an hour, but things almost always go wrong, so it's a good idea to start submitting around two hours before the deadline.

Hopefully these tips help someone, let me know if any need clarification!

(+1)

Thank you! These are some really great tips.

(+1)

Thanks. Really helpful

Submitted

Thanks bro,  really cool!

Submitted(+5)

We've had people ask you for tips.
What are five things people SHOULDN'T do?

Submitted (2 edits) (+5)

Hmmm, interesting question. Here are my five things you shouldn't do for the jam.

1. Don't worry about changing your ideas midway through the jam. My final games are often very different from what I originally envisioned, but by actually playing the game, I was able to experiment, tweak and sometimes even redo stuff. The game that I 'won' the jam with was completely different when I started it, it was almost like angry birds meets cut the rope, but by playtesting and tweaking my idea, I was able to make something way more fun. 
2. Don't worry about going out of your comfort zone. In my opinion, jams are an awesome opportunity to do something new, something that you've never done before. Especially for this longer jam, you've got time to experiment. Don't overburden yourself or anything, but consider trying something new, perhaps an artstyle you haven't used before, or a new mechanic. 
3. Don't leave all of the polish to the end. It's fine to do a bit at the end, but I'd argue that it's important to polish throughout development as well. Polish is really important, and I think it's a bad idea to leave it all to the last minute. Polishing throughout ensures that your game feels good, and if it doesn't feel fun, even when polished, then maybe it's time to make changes. I also tend to forget what things do towards the end, which can make it hard to polish.
4. Don't forget to take breaks. In the afternoon and evening, I'll start losing focus, and I find that a quick powernap helps. I also think it's important to step away from your work every once in a while to get a fresh perspective. 
5. Don't let the scores get to you. This was my gamedev win, ever, and it's taken many games to do it. Honestly, I don't expect to win again, I'll just be proud of whatever I make. I hope that everyone else will share this thought, and know that your score doesn't matter.

And here's a sixth, bonus one: Don't forget to have fun!
Anyways, I hope that helps!

Submitted (1 edit)

I agree with all of those :P
I already new the stuff, but I just wanted to provoke interesting conversation/wanted someone more experienced to kinda lay down what's up.

I'd maybe also say. Don't be too concerned if you get stuck. Usually if you give it enough space you can either work through or around an issue. Just don't panic, it'll be ok. 

Submitted

Yes I agree, nice addition. 

Submitted

Oh my god 1rst cewl. I got first before but that was with only 8 submissions so lol. P.S. I played it got me hooked and I wasted my time will cutting ;).

Submitted

Thanks, I'm very proud of the achievement! Also, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Submitted

it was this one https://sugarfavsgames/the-ruins