Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

What's the status of the prizes?

A topic by Stefan Scholl created May 01, 2019 Views: 160 Replies: 3
Viewing posts 1 to 2
Submitted

Excuse my ignorance. It's my first game jam and I don't know how this is handled normally. Shouldn't I have received a prize? Haven't found anything in my spam filter and I'm wondering if something went wrong.

Host

Hey Stefan, Prizes only went out to the top 6 places (acoording to itch.io's placement)

Submitted (1 edit)

So the fourth criteria is a random factor? (Or the time the project was created.)

Only other Bolt Jams with multiple entries for one rank were #1 and #2. Both outside of the winning placements. itch.io isn't telling how they sort the output for entries with the same score.

I looked at the ones in jam #1 and #2 and I can tell: It's not the name, it's not the age of the account. But unfortunately it isn't the time left in the jam. Rank 11 in jam #1 has two entries: the first one 11 minuted before deadline and the other about 5 hours. (The other duplicates were the other way around.)

It could be the internal ID of the game. It's visible in the source code. For rank 11 in jam #1 it is 289895 and 290618. The one with the lower ID was submitted later to the jam. My guess: The project was added earlier to itch.

Conclusion:

Participants in itch.io game jams need to create a project page very early on to beat others that may get the same score.

Suggestion for Bolt Jams:

Look at the time before deadline when multiple entries have the same rank. This is a valid fourth criteria for a jam. Worked out for this.

I'm not complaining. Just wanted to know.

Host

Thanks for looking into this Stefan! We will definitely make sure this is addressed for the next game jam. We may take it upon ourselves as the judges to break ties, or something of that nature.