Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

My BlackThornProd Game jam experience

A topic by EdenSoft created Feb 03, 2021 Views: 175 Replies: 4
Viewing posts 1 to 3
Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

The game jam was a crazy ride for me. I learned a lot about meshes, creating them through code and raycast (my game is a stealth game, so I have to do the field of view effect so it's not going through walls like this:

And that was really hard, because it's not very much possible in 2D. Also, I was not using the newest version of Unity, because I am working on a big game (it's year now). After three days I have the base set up, and it worked really good, the knockout mechanic took a bit to get right, but it was working really good. So the 4th day I started to make lvls, I made the 4 tutorial ones, where I explained the mechanics. But then, 2 days before the deadline, It was going downhill.. first there was a little problem with my UI animations, but I fixed it pretty quickly...but then I made a test build, just to make sure it all works..and guess what? It was not working. In the editor, all good and nice, in build, the player could see the field of view all the time (The main mechanic is the faster you move, the less you see...so this was a big problem). I spend hours, the entire day trying to figure it out, why it's happening...I tried everything, and nothing worked...I was going to sleep with a thought that I may not be able to finish this game....

I woke up the next day, and thought... let's recreate this bug, so I can fix it in the editor...well remember how I was talking that the field of view isn't really possible in 2D? It was the z position. For some reason, when in the editor it was 0, when I build it, it moves to -1. So I just move in the editor the field of view úrefab to 1, so in build 1 - 1 = 0 and all was working. I have no idea why is that. I had a few bugs with it, but after all, I managed to fix it and it was working properly. Day to the deadline I started to create sounds, and music. I quickly threw together two little songs in Reaper (there was another roadblock - I have to download the correct instruments I want, and update the program). And then, 10 hours into the deadline I started to make lvls. I haven't got much time, I wanted 4 tutorial lvls + 10. I was going all day, trying my best. And finally, I managed to finish it. I had a bit of problems with build on webGL, but 3 hours before the deadline, it was finished. I started to create the website, the banner, and so on. And I published it 1 hour and a half before the deadline.
The game is finished. I am really happy for the nice feedback and for the experience. Even though it looked for a while it's just a buggy mess, I managed to finish it, and how it turned out is up to you. But  I am really proud of how it turned out.

Thank you for your time reading this, if you want to know more about the game, check out the game page. 

Cheers!

Submitted(+1)

This is so well polished. I hope you're damn proud. The visual style is a damn masterstroke. Awesome game.

Submitted

Thank you very very much for your kind words! I really appreciate it! I am sooo glad you like it! 

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

Your game was one of the first submissions I played. The visuals in your game are fantastic, and like the other commenter said, it looks very well polished. Good job!

If you have time, could you rate my game? https://itch.io/jam/blackthornprod-game-jam-3/rate/898758

Submitted

Thank you for nice feedback!