Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Art Assets - Modular

A topic by DeepFriedOreo created Nov 26, 2020 Views: 224 Replies: 5
Viewing posts 1 to 2
(2 edits)

Hey, I typically do these jams by myself, and as you say in the information blurb I do use them to practice my game dev skills, but as I am not an artist I use them to develop my programming and gameplay loop skills. I also typically use modular game assets to create my levels, since again, I am not an artist.

In the rules page, there is a section that says all assets must be made in the time of the jam (excluding music and text fonts), and that any pre-builts or templates will go against the "Originality" category. I understand that if I use modular art assets this is most likely still going to be the case, but my question is: If I use my modular piece, like I normally do, to create a completely original game world (albeit with the same "every house uses drywall" tactic that is already used in real life anyway) would I at least get less removed from the originality category for using the modular assets in an original and creative way?

This is not my game idea, as I don't know the theme yet, but let me give you an example. Say my game is called "Trouble in the Workshop", and the player character is a chair. His goal is to browse through the workshop and find himself 2 worthy "arms" so he can finally become the armchair he's always wanted to be.

(+1)

Using pre-made assets will impact one of the judging categories - Originality. That means that you might get less score than you would get using original assets. nd using pre-made assets in a creative way might make you some Originality points, but not all

How would you know is it original or not? There are probably dozen of sites with free assets.

There is not a specific way to know if the assets are pre-made. The devs will have to credit the assets and whatever pre-made things they’re using. If a dev hasn’t given any credit, and someone finds out that the assets are pre-made, they can report it to AngrySmile and he’ll take whatever action necessary(the game won’t be disqualified, I think. But will have to include the credits)

(4 edits)

"If a dev hasn’t given any credit, and someone finds out that the assets are pre-made, they can report it..."

All of the pre-made assets I will be using are purchased through the Unreal Engine Marketplace, I own the rights and license to them and will not be giving credits in my game. Just so that's out there. They occasionally do giveaways and I have gotten  over 100 of their asset packs for free.

(1 edit)

"using pre-made assets in a creative way might make you some Originality points, but not all"

Thank you, that is what I was wondering :)