SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

The Town Pages - Dev Thread

A topic by Heiden created Sep 29, 2019 Views: 1,029 Replies: 7
Viewing posts 1 to 4
(2 edits) (+2)

-- Synopsis --

The year might be 359, but no one is certain. 

Strange creatures known as the Amende have pushed humanity into hiding, leaving them scattered across disconnected colonies that barely cling to life.

One such colony exists in Eastern Crunia, hidden by the boughs of a rainforest. Known only as The Town, this community has managed to thrive through isolationist policies and a strict class system. The classes were once said to be equal, but now they have shifted into stratified castes.

When Pages start showing up dead in town, tensions erupt between the castes that were once meant to be equal. 

Play as Pratik as he attempts to get to the bottom of the mysterious deaths that seem to only plague Pages. Will you destroy the Town that cursed him to live on the bottom rung of society? Or will you save it, reshaping it into the Utopia it once dreamed it could be? 

But only if the Town doesn't kill you first. 

-- Main Characters -- 

-- Other Characters --

--------

Hi everyone! The Town Pages is the next project I'll be working on! It's a Point and click mystery game where you play as Pratik as he tries to get to the bottom of why Pages keep dying. 

I'm hoping to have a very very short demo (like,  5 minutes in gameplay, haha) by the end of Barajam!

I'm hoping to be finished the full game by next October, but I'm working on this game solo, so I can't say for certain if that's when I'll finish! 

I've already gotten the whole game outlined with 4 major endings and a slew of funny super bad decision death scenes (my fav), as well as the first 12k of the game written. 

There are 2 separate predetermined romances within the game (as in, two separate pairs of couples, Pratik can only fall in love with a certain character), and depending on your choices these characters might get together or not. 

I'm in need of some beta readers once I've finished the script (estimated length of probably ~50k), so if you were interested please let me know! :D

-- Questions?! --

1. What character seems the most interesting to you so far?

2. Are you interested in games with unusual settings? Do you like having the in-game culture explained to you naturally through the character's dialogue, or do you prefer a glossary? Or neither?

3. Which character(s) do you think is(are) the murderer? 

(+1)

1. Zawar is so amazing from the description. Something about having a huge variable amount of potential, but then tossing it to the side to simply not have to deal with the world as it exists.. its just -chef's kiss- XD

2. I adore having information available in conversation, but I also appreciate a glossary if the topic requires it. Not having the information on unusual or modern scenarios makes me feel more distant because I'm not sure if my experiences are shared with the characters. 

3. No one is the murderer- every one is a beautiful angel and happy endings for all, but especially Zawar and Pratik (for now!) :3

I'm so excited to read more about the story and the characters!! Keep going!

1. Uwaaa I'm glad you like Zawar!! There's a lot coming in store for him, hehe :D

2. Noted! I'll see what I can do for a glossary for the full game! :D (I know there's a way to do it but figuring out how to get it to work is another thing, hahaha)

Host(+1)

I have the feeling Karthik and Nikhil are going to be easy favorites for the jam. =p  So glad you're able to participate this year! Are you all good for team members or are you solo'ing this entry?

I'm happy to be able to participate this year too! :D 

At this point in time I'm planning on soloing this project, but I'll probably need some programming help eventually. I was hoping to reach out to a programmer when I get to that point! :D

Host

Its ok, I know my way around Renpy *kinda* decently but I've 100% ALWAYS had to have some guidance by a coder eventually. We have tons of talented coders and just all around smart folk who can lend a helping hand or ear. :)

Oh! This is going to be a Unity game! :D 

But I also agree! Renpy was similar in that I could get pretty far with it but would usually have to end up asking help for the last bit haha; Unity has been similar but I'm always needing to ask help for every step of the process XD;; 

And I will reach out in the server when I run into something I need help with!

How is the script coming along? Have you finished the arsenic poisoning plot twist or is that going to be DLC?

1. I'm going to reserve actual judgement for after seeing how they act, but going off of picture alone I'm going to pick the grandma lady second from the right. Elderly people are rare in low-tech / dangerous environments and they typically have a unique long view on the state of the community. Plus she looks nice and wise.

2. I read to explore new worlds so unique settings are a + as long as the environment doesn't take first billing over the characters. I've never really liked having a character dump exposition. It never really feels natural for two characters to go into a long explanation about the cultural norms of a society that they've lived in their whole lives. Pyre does this thing where characters will talk and any time something is said that might need explanation they highlight the word / phrase and if you mouse over it you get a quick summary explanation, or you can click on it and the journal opens up with a longer explanation of the in depth lore. I liked this as a middle ground where people who care about the lore can get it without characters falling out of character.

3. Nikhil: anyone who's described as a "golden" person immediately spikes my suspicions. He's described as overcoming all odds, but his brother is the captain of his regiment so I don't know how much I trust that narrative. Also he has cat eyes so he's definitely sneaky.