SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

The Adventuron Halloween Jam

A topic by Adventuron created Sep 27, 2019 Views: 154 Replies: 6
Viewing posts 1 to 3
Host

Hello everyone,

Announcing a brand new gamejam called the Adventuron Halloween Jam.

The jam is spooky themed, and to demonstrate of the tone of game that is encouraged in this jam, I have release a small game called "Spooky Adventure".

The jam is NOT a horror game jam.

As if having a Halloween jam isn't fatiguing enough, heads up, there will (very likely) be a Christmas jam, likely starting on 14th November, and lasting until 23rd December. That is the end of my jam season. I have some other fun ideas for text adventure challenges, but there will be several months of rest at end of December.

Chris

Submitted(+1)

In case you change your mind, how about an Aussie jam to coincide with Australia Day on 26 January 2020? Australia has a short, but fascinating history since European settlement and thousands of years of history prior to that with the wonderful aboriginal traditions and culture and their dreamtime stories. Australia is under-represented in the world of adventures. An Adventuron jam could help to fix that.

Host

I see Australia Day as a bit political as there always seems to be a lot of controversy on that day. However, I agree with you, that soliciting games using aboriginal traditions and dreamtime stories would be very interesting, and may be a good way to preserve some of these traditional and stories, or make them accessible beyond textbooks or a plaque in a museum.

Let me think about how to do it without courting controversy. I'm not sure if it would be offensive for non-Aborigines to co-opt those traditions in their own game, or if it would be welcome if treated with respect? It's a bit of a hot potato.

I just want the system to not grossly offend anyone, which is perhaps an impossible goal. For starters, do you know anyone personally that might be persuaded to make such a game if such a jam were to exist? Are they Aborigine? Do you know if Aborigines (generally speaking) are happy for their traditions to be used in such a matter?

It's a good idea, but it needs some additional consideration.

Submitted

I wasn't implying that it had to be an aboriginal theme or a dreamtime theme (although that would be an interesting challenge in its own right), only that it has an Australian theme. The convict era, early settlement, the gold rush, bushrangers, the rum rebellion, droughts, floods and bushfires, jackeroos and droving, Aussie humour, slang, mateship and larrikanism, our participation in world wars and other global conflicts, sporting traditions and so on. Do I know anyone personally that might be persuaded to make such a game if such a jam were to exist? No. But it sure would be fun to see what people can come up with.

Submitted

Last minute decision to enter! I am struggling to find the source code for the Halloween Spooky game. Where can I find it? Also, I'm worried that some of the sample scripts will open up my Adventuron Classroom window and overwrite all my work. I've been saving and downloading, but is there a feature that makes sure it won't erase without asking me first?

Host

Hello dmarymac,

Welcome to the jam.

Go to the menu, and select "Save file" to save your current work as a text file on your computer (keep the file safe).

The spooky adventure code is available on the jam page here:

https://itch.io/jam/adventuron-halloween-jam

The graphics are not included in the game itself, and it's a smaller version of the game, with enough code there to demonstrate Adventuron features.

You can copy and paste the code into the editor (after saving your work), and study the code from there. If you need help or assistance in any way, feel free to use this thread.

Chris

Submitted

awesome! thanks.