Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Early Flow: What ideas are we making?

A topic by Twig Gates created Jan 22, 2020 Views: 226 Replies: 9
Viewing posts 1 to 6
Host

Hello, and thank you all for being here! 

(at least, I think you're here. I may just be making a game by myself, haha)

How's the first week going? What sort of ideas are floating around out there? I look forward to seeing what y'all make.

Submitted

I'm new to game making and was looking through the Game Jams to find one to join. This one caught my eye as I'm hoping to make games that deal with topics that are important, and I believe this could help normalize menstruation and teach people that not only women get periods (And not every women has a period either).  My idea for my game, if I can figure out how to do it properly is set in a universe of teddy bears. The main characters are a Fem Non Binary Bear and a Trans Boy Bear (I still need to think of names.) who are date mates, and how they help each other through their periods. I also want to add general advice for care during menstruation also. 

Host

This sounds like a really cool concept - and I'm super excited to hear that you're new to game making and wanting to make games that deal with important topics. Welcome!

Please reach out if you need any help or ideas about where to go from here to build your idea! I (or other folks, if they're here) can recommend some easy to use game engines and tools, depending on what sort of game you want to make and what aspects (like writing, art, code, sound/audio, design) you are skilled in / keen to try out. 

Good luck!!

Host

I should probably post what I'm making, hey!?

Mostly for this jam, I'm trying to finish the story for the game I began last period jam  - the programmer I'm working with is fixing up the code as well. It's a browser-based game about a trans boy getting his period, told by moving periods (the punctuation mark) to where they need to go in sentences. The period marks appear on the screen as big globs of blood, and the entire story appears on a pad. It's uber cool, and I'm super keen to finish it.

I'm playing around with two other ideas which I might work on as well: one is a clicker game where the thing that keeps ticking is your period, and the options to click when you get your period are the ridiculous things that non-period havers say about periods (like "Just hold in the blood!" or "Can't you turn it off for now?"). It's probably too much for me to actually make this jam, but I might give it a go next jam. 

The other idea is an icebreaker game / board game for young people - I have no idea what it will involve, but I want the people playing it to say "I have my period. Do you have a pad?" and stuff like that, so I'm thinking some sort of set collecting game or the like. Who knows? It has good vibes in my brain, and that's half the battle.

Submitted

Those are both really great ideas!

Host

Thank you :)  I'll post some progress shots soon - been unwell the last week, but got a bit of writing done for it.

Submitted

So far I designed the characters. I know I wanna name the bear in the tutu Clara, but I still need to think of a name for their Datemate

Host

Thanks for sharing Heather! (and sorry it's taken me such a while to respond, too). Did you find a name for their datemate?

I like the details you've added to the datemate's ears, by the way.  It adds some personality, and they look friendly and approachable. What program are you using to design them in? 

Submitted

I decided to name their datemate Theo since teddy bears were named after Theodore Roosevelt.. I did the drawing in MS paint since firealpaca has been freezing on me lately. And it's okay it took a while to respond, no worries!

Host

Cool name! Hope the project is coming along well for you :)