Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

How to find the famicase artist and ask them for consent? Sticky Locked

A topic by Kai Werder created Oct 17, 2022 Views: 1,032 Replies: 8
This topic was locked by Kai Werder Oct 25, 2022

this one rule we have is not up for discussion.

Viewing posts 1 to 4
Submitted (6 edits) (+3)(-2)

You need the explicit consent of the famicase artist to use their design as inspiration for your game.

I picked a famicase what now?

Congrats! You managed to scroll through the famicase website or used another way to see some famicases and found a design you liked or that inspired you. That’s great! But before you start making anything, there is one important step still ahead of you.

Why should I contact the famicase artist?

Unless you're only using a cart as vague inspiration (that is: changing it up to make it your own, with its own name and style), you're going to end up using elements and ideas that someone else came up with. So the right thing to do is asking them for permission to do so.

Asking for consent from the artist

You have to contact the artist. The earlier, the better.

When you want to submit the game to the jam, we require you to contact the designer of the original famicase. The designer must consent to you using their design as inspiration. We can and will remove entries from this jam if any problems with the original artist are brought to our attention.

Most of the artist are really happy you picked their case and may even help you (more on that later). If they refuse to give you the right to use their case as inspiration, then you have to choose a different case. You can pick one with a similar theme where the artist allows you to use it or just come up with a different idea to a complete different famicase. That decision is up to you. 

How to find the artist?

That’s the part where you can feel like a detective 🔎. There are a couple of ways you can get in touch with the original creators:

• Google the information under the famicase (there is name of the artist, their occupation and their country of origin) + you can use the title of the famicase. You will probably find their socials or their website this way.
  • Meteor has also tweeted all famicases on their Twitter account and linked the original artist if they given Meteor their twitter handle. Here is the advanced search to find them, you may want to add the number of your wanted famicase:” famicase.com  [the number of your cartridge] (from:meteor_club)”
  • Meteor also has a dedicated Instagram account where they post the cases and link the artist profiles that you can find here. This is also only possible if the artist gives them their Instagram account

But how to get in touch with the creators?

Most of them have one of the following:

• On a social platform the artist may have their direct messages open,
  • If that’s not possible send them a tweet starting with their Twitter handle their way
  • It’s also possible to retweet and write your message to them that way, while also showing your followers their cool case
  • If that’s not possible (Instagram) just comment under their famicase post or their latest post
  • If they have an email, send them an email.

Just don’t spam them on every channel. If they don’t immediately respond remember that sometimes people aren’t always online.

What should I ask them

Tell them what you want to do:

• You want to make something (a game?) based off their famicase for A Game by Its Cover and ask if you are allowed to do that.
  • If they agree, you may also ask the following if you want:
    • If and how you can credit them on your itch page/in the game
    • If you can use the famciase name as the name for your game,
    • If you can use their design as your cover
    • If your game can have a similar style
    • If you may use some design elements like fonts and logos

Remember: be nice and treat people the way you want to get treated.

Good luck detective!

(+1)

so... what your saying is that to make fanfiction based on their projects that is requiring permission. Which is of course a nice thing to do. But you have the word inspiration confused with fanfiction. are we allowed to actually just be inspired by the cover art and not actually make a fan project based on it? Because though i like the idea of making fan projects based on someone's IP with permission, I would rather just be inspired and make my own thing. Kind of how Pokemon is inspired by digimon. Not at all the same thing but sharing similar ideas.

Submitted(+3)(-2)

I did not confuse inspiration and fanfiction. You need to ask for permission either way because you will always take elements from the case. 

We are aware that this isn’t how copyright or fair use or any of these systems work instead it’s how this game jam is run. We respect the famicase artists and if you want to participate you should too. 

You can take any cart and run with it how far you want to go but still ask in the beginning if the creator is okay with it. 

As I said in the post most of the artist love the idea and are happy to help with your game. It isn’t a chore to be respectful instead it can be quiet fun to exchange ideas or asking for their inspiration on the cart. Also I never had someone say no. But a lot of them I could credit on the games itch pages for helping me. 

So please just ask! It isn’t hard, nobody tries to eat you. Instead you can connect a little bit with some really cool people. 

Ah I see. I think I misunderstood what this game jam was. Was expecting more kekcrock styled inspiration. But the ideas here are interesting this seems more like a collaboration between cover art designer and game maker. But perhaps not what I was looking for.

Submitted

No you can anything and don’t have to collaborate with the artist. 

You just HAVE TO ask if you can make anything inspired by it.

You can absolutely twist the ideas of the original idea of the famicase, you can have your own artstyle, different setting or original game mechanic. 

But you will probably take some elements like the game idea or I often took a very similar artstyle so it’s polite to ask if you can use it. 

Deleted 1 year ago

I get what where their coming from. I just misunderstood the exact nature of this jam myself. But its still a neat idea. However, I also do not use twitter, like at all. So email would be my only option, and that may prove... challenging for privacy reasons. But I'll keep an eye on this jam, if not to join, to at least see what people make.

Though I kind of wish the art here had prior permission from the artists to be used this way by all participants, it... well that only seemed logical to me. That may be a thing that happens in other jams later though.

Submitted(+4)(-3)

If sending a quick message to make sure the original artist feels valued is too much work for you, this jam is not for you. Itch has plenty of other game jams where you can make anything up and go from there.

and how to become an artist for famicase yourself?)

Submitted

Have an eye out on the meteor Twitter channel or when the submissions begin it is often also announced at our discord

Submitted locked this topic