SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

The Theme! Sticky

A topic by StandOffSoftware created Sep 26, 2021 Views: 2,116 Replies: 31
Viewing posts 1 to 12
Host (2 edits) (+8)(-2)

The theme of the jam is An Escape

The protagonist's main objective must be to escape from somewhere or someone.

They could be escaping from a place like a prison or desert island, or they could be escaping from a person or people such as a debt collector, a mafia, the police, etc.

The escape must be the main objective of the game, and not just something that happens briefly in one part.

It also must be literally an escape. The word "escape" is often used metaphorically in many situations like "escaping addiction" or "escaping a bad relationship" but these will not fit the theme. This is largely because this opens the door for almost anything to be shoehorned in if it is phrased as an "escape," so the escape must be a literal one from a place or person or people (or animal?), and the protagonist must be aware that their goal is to escape.

Have fun with the jam!

can it be the escape from a place? or does it have to be runner style?

Host(+4)

The post literally says "They could be escaping from a place"

Hello, can i use an already existing project that i made? I will change the theme like to "Escape the Manor"

Host

Absolutely not. Any project suspected of being an existing game reworked to fit the theme will be removed. This is a jam, not a showcase for your existing games.

escape form zombie city........ what do you think about that?

Host (1 edit)

Sounds fine, just make sure it's an adventure game, not an action game. Just saying that because most zombie games are action games, strategy games, or RPGs, not adventure games. There are some zombie adventure games, notably Telltale's The Walking Dead.

Metal Dead is another fun graphic adventure game with a zombie outbreak setting.

Deleted 2 years ago
Submitted

1) Yes
2) As long as you have the right to use them, use whatever you want
3) Yes

can I make those "questionable" sub genres ...like

platformer + adventure?

Submitted

I'm not the host nor a judge, but be careful because the focus must be on the adventure genre, I suppose it highly depend on the balance between how much platformer and how much adventure

hi I’m aware that the theme states that the escape can’t be metaphorical but is it okay to use a metaphorical escape if I make it into an object or place I have an idea I’d like to to try out that I think would fit the criteria for escaping from something generically but would like to give it a more metaphorical meaning 

Host(+1)

Like for example someone is trying to escape depression, but in the game, Depression is represented as an actual place that they are physically trying to escape from? Sure, that sounds fine.

Can i make a game about simps since according to bing an escape also means "fail to be noticed or remembered by (someone)."

Host

:-D .... no.

Can it be a meme

Host

I have no idea what you mean by that, but the rules are pretty clear. It must be a graphical adventure game in which the main goal is to *literally* escape, no metaphorical interpretations.

I understand

(+2)

Does the escape have to be successful?

Host(+1)

no

What about escaping a prison ?

Host

Do some of you people actually know how to read? The post says, and I quote, "They could be escaping from a place like a prison"

(+1)

I cant read something thats not code but thanks

(+2)

if (prison) = IsUsed

then (GameIsAcceptable) = true

Deleted 2 years ago
Host

Sure. As long as the game can be played and understood by an English speaker

(2 edits)

Hey can i make a adventurous running game in which the main character have to escape from any bad person by running

Host

If the main game mechanic is running then it's not an Adventure Game

Hey i request you that please suggest me some game that fit this jam

Host

See this post: https://itch.io/jam/105-adventure-game-challenge/topic/1662814/what-is-an-advent...

Thanks for replying and can i use any software that i want

Host

Yes, you are free to use any software you have the right to use.

ok